Wacom has partnered with animation expert, Mike Morris to create Cartoon Crunch, a reality show-type mini-series that documents the process, pitfalls, and breakthroughs of making cartoons. Two teams of four animation students will be selected to take on the challenge of creating an animated short in just one week with the help of professional mentors.
Animation teams are challenged to create a cartoon that depicts what creative collaborations will look like in the future. The cartoon should be 45 seconds or less.
All college juniors and seniors in the US, Canada, and Latin America* who are looking to break into the animation industry are invited to participate.
To be considered, participants must have the following:
- Webcam, preferably one with the ability to capture 1080p video
- A computer with screen recording capabilities
- A secondary camera for recording additional “in-action” footage
The judges and organizers of Cartoon Crunch are all located in North America; therefore, all entries must be in English and all mentorship will be provided during PST.
To enter, please submit the following items to email@example.com:
- Animation portfolio – The competition is seeking sharp, well-rounded portfolios. PDF or movie files are acceptable. PDFs are limited to a 10-page maximum.
- A video of the applicant that answer the following questions: Who are you? What do you do in the animation realm? What are your aspirations?
Entries will be accepted until August 21 at 11:59pm PST.
Winners will be chosen and notified by August 22.
How will participants be selected?
- Submissions will be reviewed by Mike Morris and the Wacom Community Team.
- Each student animator will receive a Wacom One and Wacom-sponsored stipend of $1500
A five-part mini-series will be released over the course of five days with live watch parties each day. After each episode, a live Q&A with the professional mentor featured in the episode of that day will take questions from the chat and offer general production tips.
For the final celebration, everyone is invited to join in for a special Popcorn Premiere Party which will include a short panel with our student animators and the debut of the final cartoon animations.
For official contest terms and conditions, click here.
Entries from Venezuela cannot be considered due to shipping restrictions*