The Ibero-American Animation Quirino Awards announced their finalists – a total of 24 works selected to compete in 9 categories. The winners will be announced May 29 at a ceremony in the city of La Laguna, Tenerife. The ceremony will also pay tribute to the Cuban cartoonist and animation film director Juan Padrón, creator of Ibero-American animation classics such as Elpidio Valdés and Vampires in Havana.
The Spanish short film Wayback received the most nominations (3). It was followed by the Chilean and Brazilian co-production feature film Nahuel and the Magic Book; the Portuguese short film Tie, the Spanish short film Homeless Home; and the Chilean series Petit Season 2 – each of which received two nominations each.
Best Animated Feature Film Selections:
- Xico’s Journey by Eric Cabello Díaz
- Cranston Academy: Monster Zone by Leopoldo Aguilar
- Nahuel and the Magic Book – Germán Acuña Delgadillo’s
Best Series Selections:
- I, Elvis Riboldi, directed by Javier Galán and Raphaël Lamarque
- The Zurfs, directed by Alex Cervantes
- Petit Season 2 – by Bernardita Ojeda
- Count On Me – by Andrés Lieban and Alessandro Monnerat
Best Short Film Selections:
- Homeless Home by Alberto Vázquez
- Roberto by Carmen Córdoba González
- Tie by Alexandra Ramires
Best Animation School Short Film Selection:
- La Bestia by Ram Tamez (Gobelins l’Ecole de l’Image)
- Memories for Sale by Manuel Lopez (Universidad Veritas)
- The Return of the Waves by Alejandra Guevara Cervera (Gobelins l’Ecole de l’Image)
The Quirino Awards also includes awards in the following categories: Best Commissioned Film; Best Animation for Video Game; Best Visual Development; Best Animation Design; and Best Sound Design and Original Music.
A complete list of finalists is available here.
Source: The Ibero-American Animation Quirino Awards