OIAF 21 runs online September 22 – October 3 featuring the most popular events of the live festival, including the Official Competition and Panorama screenings showcasing the best new animated films from around the world. Participants can take part in a wide-range of artist and industry talks, meet with animation schools and recruiters, and just hang-out with some of the world’s best animators. InGenius Jr Day for Families will return, along with free events for high school students. The event will extend its dates, giving participants two full weeks to take in all the content at home.
The good folks at OAIF have released the official festival trailer to provide a glimpse of things to come. Other previews include information about the selections for the short film competition screenings and newly announced behind-the-scenes talks and industry insights.
This year’s festival garnered a total of 2,528 entries from 104 different countries. 107 short films, including animated series, and 7 feature films were chosen for competition. 5 projects were selected for competition in the Best Virtual Reality (VR). In addition, 23 films were selected in the Canadian Student Competition and 48 panorama films were chosen to represent the efforts of the Canadian, international, and student communities.
More information about the official short film competition screenings and schedule is available here.
WIA Vancouver is coming up ACEs as it Expands Across Canada!
With the support of Netflix Canada, WIA Vancouver’s ACE (Animation Career EXCELerator) Program expands across Canada. Designed to advance the careers of women in the animation industry, the ACE program provides mid-level career professionals with targeted and focused mentoring, support, and training, giving participants the unique opportunity to develop, create, and own original intellectual property.
Join ACE’s executive producers, studio allies, and past participants as they share insights from the program’s first iterations and offer guidance for those interested in applying to participate.
- Kim Dent Wilder (Executive Vice President, Mainframe Studios)
- Brenda Gilbert (President, BRON Media Corp)
- Maisha Moore (Art Director)
- Rose-Ann Tisserand (Founder and co-Executive Producer, WIA Vancouver’s ACE Program)
Moderated by Tracey Mack (Co-Executive Producer, WIA Vancouver’s ACE Program)
Black Write Talent Incubator: Discovering New Black Storytellers and Illustrators
Supported by Nelvana and Kids Can Press, the newly launched initiative aims to discover, support and mentor emerging Black storytellers and illustrators. Its vision is to match promising talent with industry professionals from two of Canada’s leading children’s content companies in order to develop original work.
Learn how the Black Write Talent Incubator will give budding creators the chance to develop their work and make essential connections in the television, animation, and publishing industries. The discussion will be followed by a Q&A.
- Athena Georgaklis (Head of Development, Nelvana)
- Carl Brundtland (Director, Legal Counsel, Corus Entertainment)
- Naseem Hrab (Associate Publisher, Creative, Kids Can Press)
My Career as Storyboard Artist – ANIMATION EXPOSÉ
- Join Ottawa-based animation vets José Pou and Bradley Cayford as they discuss their careers as storyboard artists, from staying busy to selecting projects and collaborators.
Telling Authentic Stories
This panel will reflect on creating genuine settings, stories, and characters in projects that explore various underrepresented cultures and communities. Presented in partnership with ASIFA-Hollywood.
- Sidney Clifton (Senior Vice President of Animation and Mixed Media, Jim Henson Company)
- Raul Garcia (Director and Producer)
- Niki López (Creator and Executive Producer, Nick Jr’s Santiago of the Seas)
Moderated by Aubry Mintz (Director of Animation and VFX, Chapman University)
Convos with Creators: Vivienne Medrano (Hazbin Hotel, Helluva Boss)
Hear from the creators behind some of this season’s fresh new animated series.
- Join Creator Vivienne Medrano (aka Vivziepop) for an intimate conversation about creating her Youtube hit series, Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss.
- Bryan Dimas, Associate Producer, Development at Warner Bros. Animation and Co-Director of LatinX in Animation joins the conversation.
A complete schedule of programs is available here.
Source: The Ottawa International Animation Festival