Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) has just announced the lineup for its fifth annual SCAD AnimationFest, presented by SCADFILM, running September 23-25, 2021. The online festival features three days of special guests, screenings, presentations, panels with leaders in animation, and a curated showcase of student work. Global access will be available to creatives and enthusiasts in the industries behind animation, visual effects, motion media design, and gaming content across all genres and platforms.
A highlight of SCAD AnimationFest will be the premiere of Hex Limit, a standout collaborative student work from SCAD Animation Studios. The 3D animated film features an unusual broom chase as three characters race for the title of champion through a cyber-fantasy city. The festival will also feature a special session dedicated to the making of this exceptional animated short and a look at how SCAD pushes the boundaries of animation, storytelling, and visual effects. Additionally, SCAD AnimationFest will feature a SCAD student film showcase of The Ocean Duck, available for on-demand viewing throughout the course of the three-day event.
“SCAD is home to SCAD Animation Studios, the world’s only animation studio housed at an elite university, where students write, perform, and animate 2D and 3D films,” said SCAD President and Founder Paula Wallace. “To see SCAD’s latest release Hex Limit and enjoy a comprehensive look at everything SCAD offers future animators, including IMDB credits before graduation, SCAD AnimationFest is the place to be this September!”
SCADFILM is proud to present the 2021 Award of Excellence to Oscar-winning director, story artist, and animator Everett Downing Jr., recognizing his transformational achievements in animation throughout his storied career. SCAD AnimationFest will also feature an inside look at Downing’s new Netflix series We the People.
“Our festival programming celebrates the explosive growth of the animation industry and SCAD’s role in preparing talent across all the disciplines that contribute to this transformative art form,” said Leigh Seaman, Senior Executive Director of SCADFILM. “At SCADFILM, we illuminate the opportunities for artists in any medium to find success in the entertainment business, and animation offers opportunities galore. We look forward to welcoming guests from major studios and production companies to talk about trends and take us behind the scenes of some of this year’s most anticipated animated content.”
The curated programming for the festival represents the expertise and excellence of the university’s top-ranked degree programs from the SCAD School of Digital Media and School of Entertainment Arts. Animation has exploded in popularity in recent years, becoming one of the largest of SCAD’s preeminent degree programs. The SCAD animation program is regarded globally as best-in-class for preparation in a growing field that encompasses film, television, interactive media, and video games.
Dynamic digital conversations and panels with industry luminaries at SCAD AnimationFest include:
- Behind the Scenes of the Amazon Original Animated Series Do, Re, & Mi
- Expanding Universes with Star Trek: Prodigy
- From 2D to 3D – A Look Into the Evolution of Two of Nickelodeon’s Biggest Shows
- Making Marvel’s M.O.D.O.K. With Stoopid Buddy Stoodios
- Meet the Creator and Producers Behind the Paramount+ Adult Animated Comedy Series The Harper House
- Rising Voices in Animation: A Conversation With Changemakers in the Industry
- The Lighting of Pixar’s Soul
- Unpacking Bento Box: Career Paths and Day-to-Day of an Animation Studio
- Writing for Primetime: Fox’s Animation Domination
SCAD AnimationFest will showcase exclusive screenings of upcoming animated series, including:
- Amazon Original Animated Series Do, Re, & Mi
- Paramount+ Adult Animated Comedy Series The Harper House
- Netflix Animated Series We the People
Talented SCAD alumni will present their expertise and insights in sessions such as:
- Sophisticatedly Silly: An Alumni Panel Discussion on the FX of The Boss Baby: Family Business
- Animate the Peach State presented by ASIFA-South
- SCAD Student Showcase Spotlight: The Ocean Duck
- Character Design in Animation
- Alumni Voices: Navigating the Animation Industry
SCAD AnimationFest is presented by SCADFILM, a leading program for students and working professionals in animation, film and television, gaming, virtual reality, and digital media. Passes for AnimationFest are on sale now at scad.edu/animationfest2021.
Source: SCAD AnimationFest